Saturday, September 1, 2012

Ransom-ware

This blog has been generated to post information pertaining information security. I welcome discussion any topics presented in these blogs. Since its my first one, I'll introduce myself further. I've worked in the communications for a while now.  I received my bachelors degree in Computer Science in North Carolina. I currently work in Nebraska and maintain computer/communication systems connected around the world.  With such a large footprint I'm  now in contact with, information security is a huge concern of mine now.  

As far as discussion on viruses that affect Windows' new operating systems. The most interesting one I've witnessed is a type of "ransom-ware."  I don't want to give the name of the program I've been finding because just researching it online on a clean computer, my personal system "contracted" it the very next day. What I would like to do it pass knowledge of symptoms and corrective action. 

While the system is booted up and running normally, a program will pop up that seems to be scanning your computer for viruses.  The name was not a commonly advertised one (i.e. Nortan or McAfee).  However, it was "finding" viruses at an alarming rate on a system I knew had virus protection already.  It is pressing you to purchase a "license" for the program that is "scanning" your computer in front of your eyes.  The "x" in the top right to close the program will not work. Alt + F4 doesn't work. Right-click, close doesn't work.  Opening the task manager and ending the process will not terminate the program.  Personally, I was quite surprised at the power of this program.  While using, the later to be known, infected computer to search the program's name on the internet, the Internet Explorer, then Firefox would stop running all together and wouldn't not allow the me to launch the programs anymore. I tried to search the computer for the program and uninstall, but it would then turn off my ability to search through my own computer!

I finally learned the only way to stop it was to open a file called R-Kill. I couldn't search for it on the internet because it was again, blocked by this ransom-ware. I had to download the file from the internet using another computer and then insert it into the infected computer by USB, etc. By running R-Kill, it terminates ALL programs currently running that isn't the bare minimum operating system. At this point I could finally uninstall the program, and then re-activate my anti-virus. 

Hope you enjoyed the read. I really wanted to pull my hair out when I was helping my friend out with it. 
Cheers, 
Kyle

No comments:

Post a Comment