Sunday, September 30, 2012

Future of Smart Phones
I found an interesting article on Digital Trends (.com) explaining how smart phones will soon be considered PC replacements over the next few years.  In June of 2010 DoCoMo launched their Toshiba T-01A which is Japan’s very fast phone using the advanced Qualcomm chip, Snapdragon.  The Snapdragon runs 30% faster, while using 30% less power as well as featuring enhanced 2D acceleration and 3D graphics core (Ricker, 2009).  Here in 2012, the new iPhone 5 can come with 64GBs of memory, GPS, digital compass, Wi-Fi, 8MP camera, Panorama, 1080P video recording, and Apple’s A6 chip (TopTenReviews.com, 2012).  These powerful phones can now multitask with the best of them, including enough data processing to actually play Blizzard’s World of Warcraft (Brandon, 2010), which is a very resource-demanding computer game.  Location awareness will begin taking effect, where 2015 phones are projected to offer to pay your bill through your phone when near a McDonald’s restaurant or Starbucks (Brandon, 2010).  Augmented reality, an emerging trend will allow a guy sitting in the nosebleed section of a game to see the live feed being streamed from the person in the second row at a game or event (Brandon, 2010).  From my personal experience, when I lose my TV remote, I can grab my smart phone and control my smart TV from the Samsung App installed on my phone.  I have an interest in cyber security, but I have a real passion for smart phone technology.  I’m very excited to see what comes next.

Cited:
Ricker, Thomas. (2009). Engadget: Qualcomm’s 1.3GHz QSD8650A Snapdragon chipset is 30% stronger, uses 30% less power. Retrieved at: http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/01/qualcomms-1-3ghz-qsd8650a-snapdragon-chipset-is-30-stronger/
Unknown. (2012). TopTenReviews: Apple iPhone 5. Retrieved at: http://cell-phones.toptenreviews.com/smartphones/apple/apple-iphone-5-review.html
Brandon, Richard. (2010). Digital Trends: The Future of Smartphones: 2010-2015 and Beyond.  Retrieved at: http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/the-future-of-smartphones-2010-2015-and-beyond/

No comments:

Post a Comment